The third Edition of the India School of Internet Governance (inSIG) is scheduled to be organized during 13-15 October 2018 at India International Centre (IIC), New Delhi.
India SIG was founded in 2016, when inSIG2016 was convened in Oct-Nov 2016 at IIIT Hyderabad, immediately prior to the ICANN57 meeting held at the same city. The event had 44 participants from 9 countries and 22 speakers from 12 countries. The second edition of inSIG was held in October 2017 at Technopark, Trivandrum, which brought together 88 participants, including 63 Fellows from 5 countries, 15 Speakers from 6 countries, and the event Secretariat. More details of the first two editions are available here.
The objectives of inSIG are as follows:
- Impart formal training on Internet Governance to participants so as to prepare them for engagement in global Internet Governance processes. To this end, the programme content is a balanced mix of global IG topics, regional topics and India-specific topics (in the approximate ratio of 60:10:30)
- Nucleate a community of Internet Governance professionals in India through alumni
- Introduce to participants some of the global experts in Internet Governance as speakers in the programme
- Provide networking opportunities for participants
- Provide an international setting for participants through a mixture of domestic and international participants, making inSIG a national-regional SIG
The 2018 edition of inSIG builds on the vision and design of the first two versions, and aims to build a community of IG professionals in India as well as in the broader South Asia region of Asia-Pacific, who can effectively participate in global Internet Governance Process. The event is also a forum to discuss topical issues of specific relevance to India.
inSIG2018 will bring together about 90+ participants, including International Fellows and about 15 experts from India at the National Capital Region of India. As part of the event, the inSIG Steering Committee is also planning to convene the first India Youth IGF on Day 0 (12 Oct 2018), which will bring together youth & students together with Internet Governance practitioners and experts to discuss IG topics of relevance to Indian youth.